ScalaHosting provides all customers with easy access to free Let’s Encrypt SSL via a fully automated process. As soon as your domain name points to your ScalaHosting server a Let’s Encrypt SSL certificate will be put in place within 24 hours.
If for some reason you wish this to be done manually it can be done from your web hosting control panel.
- Step 1. Sign in to your account and click on “SSL Certificates.”
- Step 2. On the right of the domain name for which you want to install the Let’s Encrypt SSL, click on the dropdown menu labeled “Actions.”
- Step 3. Select “Install free SSL” then click the “Install” button on the pop-up box.
Note: Your domain name must be pointing towards your ScalaHosting server for this to work. If your domain name is not pointed correctly, an error message will be displayed.
Why Your Website Needs SSL
SSL certificates help keep information passing between your website and its visitors safe. This is done through a process of encryption which prevents data from being read if intercepted anywhere between the source and its destination.
SSL certificates also serve to reassure visitors that the website they are visiting is legitimate. These security factors are important and search engines will penalize websites that do not implement SSL certificates.
Types of SSL Certificates
There are three categories of SSL certificates:
- Domain Validation (DV)
- Organization Validation (OV)
- Extended Validation (EV)
These certificates offer different levels of assurance for website visitors.
- DV certificates are the most commonly available. To issue DV certificates, Certificate Authorities (CAs) only check if a domain name actually belongs to the person applying for the certificate. This process can be as simple as the exchange of an email between the two parties.
- OV certificates require additional validation steps. Aside from confirmation of ownership, the CA also checks to see if a real person or entity is applying for the certificate prior to issuance.
- EV certificates are the most complex to apply for and only issued to businesses. The application process for these requires extensive documentation to be submitted to the CA, such as proof of domain and trade name ownership, operational existence, and flagship verification.
Upgrading to Premium SSL
Aside from free Let’s Encrypt SSL, ScalaHosting also makes premium SSL certificates available. You can choose between two well-recognized CA brands – GeoTrust and Symantec.
All premium SSL certificates ordered from ScalaHosting come with:
- instant activation
- free installation
- a 7-day money-back guarantee.